Tuesday, October 18, 2016

In The Beginning

In the beginning I regretted my decision to attend a local dance lesson. My friend who invited me didn't show, and I was stuck between the choices of going in alone or driving twenty minutes home after nothing. I choose to go in. Low and behold it was a themed event (for Saint Patrick's Day none the less). I was neither wearing green nor had the extra cash needed for the special event fee. I was more than a little embarrassed when a guy had to help pay for me (I don't think I've seen him again, thank goodness).

I knew no one, and despite being a people person I was already flustered by the already awkward circumstances. Most people were talking in little groups or sitting alone waiting for the lesson to start. Luckily I was able to strike-up a conversation with another person not wearing green. Before I knew it, it was time for the lesson to start.

No permanent partner was needed and after doing some warm-up moves I was easily able to partner up. By having to rotate every so often I was able to meet a lot of the leads, most of which were easy to talk to (others well... you rotated often).

Learning the basic step was easy, I guess I just pick up rhythms pretty easily. I, however, was "noodle-armed." Instead of being supper stiff like most new follows, I was super, well, noodle-ly. Despite this I dance with most everyone during the following open dance floor event. One guy even tried to show me how to do "the princess," which if you don't know you should google. While not being able to do "the princess" I was able to create the dance foundation that I am still using to this day.

The back of my calves hurt, but I was no longer intimidated about walking in alone, because I wasn't alone. The place I started dancing at was so kind and welcoming that I soon had good friends to talk to there. Even after I started to attend other places, I was able to communicate with others through my dancing. So even though it started out very awkward, I am very glad I took a chance and walked into the class that day.

Thanks for reading, I hope your first dance experience wasn't as awkward as mine! Look forward to my continued mini stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment